“‘The Weak Things of the World’: The Enigma of Isaiah’s Suffering Servant,” in David’s Son and David’s Lord: Christology for Christ’s People, ed. Ryan McGraw and Michael Morales
by Contribution by Jonathan Gibson
The introduction to this book includes these words: “One of the greatest needs of the church in every age is to contemplate, know, and love the glory of Christ in order to promote the spread of the gospel and the holiness of God’s people. Yet this all-encompassing vision of Jesus Christ in Christian faith and life is not always common and it is often missing today.” One book cannot be expected to meet all the needs of the church in the vital area of Christology, but these essays (originally given at the 2018 Spring Theology Conference at Greenville Presbyterian Theological Seminary) provide pastors and church members with the key ideas surrounding the person of Christ. This is no isolated academic exercise.
As the Puritan Isaac Ambrose (1604–1664) wrote, “The most excellent subject to discourse or write of, is Jesus Christ … Indeed all we say is but unsavory, if it be not seasoned with this salt.”
Jesus Christ is the most excellent subject to read and to prayerfully savor and meditate on. Doing so is the true path to the blessedness of the world to come and of joy and personal holiness in this life. Every glimpse we have of Christ on earth brings heaven down to us so that we might long to appear in heaven where Christ is seated.
Prayerfully reading these chapters will enrich your mind and provide many glimpses of Christ that will increase your longing for him.
- Christ Our Prophet –Ian Hamilton
- The Lord from Heaven: The Deity and Pre-existence of the Son of God –Joel Beeke
- Cur Deus Homo: Why God Became Man –G. K. Beale
- Spotless Lamb of God: The Impeccability and Obedience of Christ –Richard D. Phillips
- Jesus the Obedient Son: The Life that Glorifies God –L. Michael Morales
- Christ’s Resurrection –Ian Hamilton
- Rejoice! The Triumphant Lord Jesus Ascends to and is Seated in Heaven –Ryan Speck
- Christ and His Bride: an Exposition of Psalm 45 –Michael Barrett
- Christ the Exalted King –Joseph A. Pipa
- The Weak Things of the World: The Enigma of Isaiah’s Suffering Servant –Jonathan Gibson
- Seeing Him As He Is: Christ’s Return and Growing in Godliness –Ryan M. McGraw
Latest content by Gethin Jones
- The Emergence of Evangelicalism: Exploring Historical Continuities - March 7, 2023
- The Atonement Debate: Papers from the London Symposium on the Theology of Atonement - March 7, 2023
- Calvin: Theologian And Reformer - March 3, 2023
- The Da Vinci Code: From Dan Brown’s Fiction To Mary Magdalene’s Faith - March 3, 2023
- His Love Endures For Ever — Reflections on the Love of God - March 3, 2023